Record Requests

The 28th Infantry Division Association frequently get requests for service records from families of former Division Soldiers.

Unfortunately, the Association only has the information that Association members provided on their membership applications, not the entire Division. Furthermore, the Association only goes back forty years, so we do not have any information from earlier time periods.

A large number of service records were destroyed in theater to keep them from falling into enemy hands during WWII. Information on service records would normally be able to be found at the National Archives. But a fire at the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) destroyed approximately 16-18 million Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF) on July 12, 1973. According to the National Archives, the Army records affected were personnel discharged November 1, 1912 to January 1, 1960. No duplicate copies of these records were ever maintained, nor were microfilm copies produced. Neither were any indexes created prior to the fire.

The Department of Defense advises all discharged personnel to file a copy of their DD-214 at their local court house. Persons seeking information should contact the court house where the veteran returned after discharge or seperation. National Archives policy is that copies of a DD-214 may only be given to the veteran or his or her next of kin who need it for evidence of the veteran’s status. The next of kin can be any of the following: surviving spouse that has not remarried, father, mother, son, daughter, sister, or brother. A copy of a DD-214 can also be provided to someone who has the veteran’s power of attorney.

A limited amount of information can be found at the PA National Guard Military Museum. They have some donated information from private collections in their archives. If you have items to donate or are looking for information, you can contact them at:

There is also a private for profit organization called Golden Arrow Military Research that researches records for a fee. You can find out more information about them and their services at:

us on Facebook!